Using the Publish or Perish software
How to use the Publish or Perish software effectively for a wide variety of purposes
This book is a guide to the Publish or Perish software. You can download the software here: Publish or Perish (Windows) and here: Publish or Perish on macOS. For more about the software, see Publish or Perish in the news and Publish or Perish training resources.
Harzing, A.W. (2023) Using the Publish or Perish software: Crafting your career in academia, Published by Tarma Software Research Ltd, London, United Kingdom.
- Kindle edition, 445 pp. ISBN 978-1-7394538-4-8.
- Black & white paperback, 375pp. ISBN 978-1-7394538-3-1.
- Black & white hardcover, 375pp. ISBN 978-17394538-5-5.
Note: In June 2023 Amazon increased the printing cost for all books published through Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing. This was due to higher cost of materials, suppliers, and labour. I have therefore regretfully had to decide to increase the price of my paperbacks. The price of my Kindle books remains unchanged.
This guide provides you with practical step-by-step guidance on using the Publish or Perish software. After reading this guide, you will know more about citation analysis than 99% of your academic colleagues! You will learn all about its user interface and multi-searches centre, the metrics that PoP calculates, as well as the eight data sources that the software interfaces with. The two most frequently used of these data sources – Google Scholar and Google Scholar Profiles – are discussed in detail in separate chapters.
The guide then shows you how to conduct effective author, journal, topic, and affiliation searches, as well as how to use the software for a wide variety of purposes. This includes tenure or promotion applications, conducting literature reviews and meta-analyses, deciding where to submit your paper, preparing for job interviews, writing laudations or obituaries, finding reviewers, examiners, or keynote speakers, preparing for a meeting with your academic hero, uncovering “citation connections” between scholars, doing bibliometric research and much much more.
Table of contents
Below is the chapter outline of the book. If you would like to know more about what is included in its 375 pages, you can download a very detailed table of contents and the introduction to the book here.
- Chapter 1: The Publish or Perish interface
- Chapter 2: Multi-searches centre
- Chapter 3: Citation Metrics
- Chapter 4: Data sources
- Chapter 5: Google Scholar: strengths and weaknesses
- Chapter 6: Google Scholar Citations Profile
- Chapter 7: Author searches
- Chapter 8: Journal searches
- Chapter 9: Topic and affiliation searches
- Chapter 10: Presenting your case for tenure or promotion
- Chapter 11: Evaluating other academics
- Chapter 12: Doing a literature review search
- Chapter 12: Researching target journals
- Chapter 14: Doing bibliometric research
- Chapter 15: Development of PoP over the years
All books in this series
- Impact is impact is impact? Well, no...
- Improve your Research Profile: Follow the 7 steps for impact
- The four C's of getting cited
- Research impact 101
- How to ensure your paper achieves the impact it deserves?
- The four P's of getting published
Copyright © 2023 Anne-Wil Harzing. All rights reserved. Page last modified on Tue 5 Sep 2023 09:08
Anne-Wil Harzing is Professor of International Management at Middlesex University, London and visiting professor of International Management at Tilburg University. She is a Fellow of the Academy of International Business, a select group of distinguished AIB members who are recognized for their outstanding contributions to the scholarly development of the field of international business. In addition to her academic duties, she also maintains the Journal Quality List and is the driving force behind the popular Publish or Perish software program.