Working in academia
Container page of resources related to working in academia
Working in academia can be challenging, especially as an early career academic. However, there are lots of resources on this website that can help you to navigate your academic job. Here is a list of the most important ones.
Books on crafting your career in academia
- Writing effective promotion applications
- Publishing in academic journals
- Creating social media profiles
- Measuring and improving research impact
Multi-part blogpost series and guides
- Effective promotion applications
- Avoid a desk-reject for your article
- Social media to support your career
- Improve your Research Profile
- Social media for teaching (christasathish.com)
Blogposts on Harzing.com
Structured overview of Harzing.com blogposts by theme in the following areas:
|academic careers||conference reports||gender in academia|
|academic etiquette||creating research impact||research focus|
|academic publishing||doing (international) research||Publish or Perish software|
Want to know more about me?
- IB Frontline interview: personal section
- IB Frontline interview: research section
- IB Frontline interview: mentoring section
- This little girl: message to my younger self
- My career history
My YouTube channel Harzing Academic Resources includes more than 100 videos on topics such as:
- Publishing: publishing in top journals, chosing your target journal, writing boot-camp series on how to avoid a desk-reject
- Research impact: how to get cited, measuring research impact, Q&A on research impact, seven steps to impact, creating impact in little time
- Research profiles: Linkedin, ResearchGate and Twitter, Google Scholar Profiles, blogging, engaging with social media
- Research skills: doing a literature review, research strategies & trade-offs, using the publish or perish software, publish or perish for literature reviews
- Academic life: navigate academia as a PhD student, the UK REF, building a sustainable academic career, Q&A on working in academia
- Improve your research profile: 8-part series on how to improve your research profile
- WAIB interview, 7 questions on my early work, publishing, and creating impact
- Frontline IB interview, all sections of the interview: personal, scholar and mentor
- Frontline International Business interviews
- Academic publishing resources
- Inspirational readings for female academics
- Video resources: International HRM
- Video resources: International Business
- Publish or Perish - A citation analysis software program which helps academics to present their case for research impact to its best advantage.
- Journal Quality List - Ranking of academic journals in the field of business and management.
Find the resources on my website useful?
I cover all the expenses of operating my website privately. If you enjoyed the resources on this page and want to support me in maintaining my website, consider buying a copy of one of my books (see below) or supporting the Publish or Perish software.
Copyright © 2023 Anne-Wil Harzing. All rights reserved. Page last modified on Sat 15 Apr 2023 07:03
Anne-Wil Harzing is Professor of International Management at Middlesex University, London and visiting professor of International Management at Tilburg University. She is a Fellow of the Academy of International Business, a select group of distinguished AIB members who are recognized for their outstanding contributions to the scholarly development of the field of international business. In addition to her academic duties, she also maintains the Journal Quality List and is the driving force behind the popular Publish or Perish software program.