Publish or Perish on OS X, using CrossOver Mac 9.x or earlier
NOTE: This page is obsolete; please refer to the OS X main page
This page contains the installation instructions for Publish or Perish on OS X, using CodeWeaver's CrossOver Mac version 9.x or earlier. If you use CrossOver Mac version 10.x or later, then use the simplified instructions.
Publish or Perish is provided courtesy of Harzing.com. It is free for personal non-profit use; please refer to the End User License Agreement for the full licensing terms and conditions.
Support Publish or Perish
The development of the Publish or Perish software is a volunteering effort that has been ongoing since 2006. Download and use of Publish or Perish is and will remain free (gratis), but your support toward the costs of hosting, bandwidth, and software development are appreciated. Your support helps further development of Publish or Perish for new data sources and additional features.
To install the Publish or Perish software on an OS X system, you must first obtain and install a copy of CodeWeavers' CrossOver Mac. For our testing we used CrossOver Mac Standard, version 9.0.1.
If you use CrossOver Mac version 10.x or later, then use the simplified instructions.
Assuming that you have installed CrossOver Mac on your OS X computer, the installation procedure for Publish and Perish goes as follows.
1. Download the Publish or Perish software installer from the Harzing.com web site:
Version: 5.29.5793 (18 July 2017)
2. Start CrossOver Mac from your computer's Applications folder.
3. On the CrossOver menu bar, choose the Configure menu, then Install Software... This opens the CrossOver Software Installer window.
4. In the upper part of this window, close Supported Applications, open Unsupported Applications, and select Other Application. The result should look like the following screen shot:
5. On the Select an installer bar, click the Select button. This opens the Select an installer pane:
6. Click Choose Installer File... and browse to select the PoPSetup.exe installer that you downloaded earlier. When you have done so, click Use this installer to confirm your selection. This adds PoPSetup.exe to the installer list:
7. On the Will install into a new winxp bottle '...some name...' bar, click the Edit button. This opens the Will install into... pane and display a list of Compatible Bottles. Do one of the following:
- If you already have created CrossOver Mac Bottles before on your system, you may select an existing Bottle.
- If you do not have an earlier Bottle available, then choose New winxp Bottle... In this case, enter a New Bottle Name, for example Publish or Perish 3.
The result should be similar to the following screen shot:
8. If everything seems to be in order, then click Install to start the Publish or Perish installation process.
9. CrossOver Mac will now create an emulated environment for the Publish or Perish installer. This may take some time, particularly if this is the first time that you install a Windows application with CrossOver Mac. After 5-30 seconds the first installer screen appears. Follow the instructions on the screen to install Publish or Perish.
10. Installation is now complete. The CrossOver Finder window will open automatically and show the Publish or Perish software. You can click the Done button in the CrossOver Software Installer window to close it.
11. To start Publish or Perish, double-click its entry in the CrossOver Finder window. This folder is located under your Home folder, as Home > Applications > CrossOver.
You can also start Publish or Perish through the CrossOver menu bar, on its Programs menu. See the following screen shot:
The general operation of Publish or Perish under CrossOver Mac is identical to the standard Windows usage. However, in our testing we have observed the following issues:
- Shortcuts created by the installer do not show up on the OS X desktop
- You must create them manually if you want them by creating a soft link to the Publish or Perish 3 Bottle on the OS X desktop.
Copyright © 2017 David Adams. All rights reserved. Page last modified on Tue 18 Jul 2017 14:17
Web master of Harzing.com and developer of the Publish or Perish software, among other things. He holds BSc and MSc degrees in Electrical Engineering, a PhD in Operations Research, and likes to watch academic life from a safe distance.