Benchmarking research performance
In December 2016 I presented at the EFMD Research Leadership Programme for an audience of Research Deans from the UK, France, Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, Portugal and Sweden.
- Harzing, A.W. (2016) Benchmarking research performance, presented at the EFMD Research Leadership Programme, EFMD, Brussels, 7 December 2016. Available online...
My presentation on benchmarking first looked at how benchmarking can be used to create legitimacy in the Research Dean's role by providing a frame of reference. I then outlined the five key choices to be made in a benchmarking exercise.
- What to benchmark? Publications, citations, societal impact, research funding, students
- Which measures to use? Journal rankings, ISI JIF, h-index & variants, total cites
- Which data source to use? Thomson ISI, Scopus, Google Scholar, Microsoft Academic
- At what level to benchmark? Individuals, Departments, Faculty/School, University
- Who to benchmark against? Similar entities, aspirational benchmarks?
Copyright © 2017 Anne-Wil Harzing. All rights reserved. Page last modified on Sat 20 May 2017 18:56
Anne-Wil Harzing is Professor of International Management at Middlesex University, London. In addition to her academic duties, she also maintains the Journal Quality List and is the driving force behind the popular Publish or Perish software program.