Publish or Perish
Explains the use of Publish or Perish and its metrics
Publish or Perish is a software program that retrieves and analyzes academic citations. It uses a variety of data sources to obtain the raw citations, then analyzes these and presents a range of citation metrics, including the number of papers, total citations and the h-index.
The results are available on-screen and can also be copied to the Windows or macOS clipboard (for pasting into other applications) or saved to a variety of output formats (for future reference or further analysis). Publish or Perish includes a detailed help file with search tips and additional information about the citation metrics.
Are you applying for tenure, promotion or a new job? Do you need to prepare for your performance appraisal? Publish or Perish is designed to help individual academics to present their case for research impact to its best advantage, even if you have very few citations.
You can also use Publish or Perish to decide which journals to submit to, to prepare for a job interview, to conduct a literature review, to do bibliometric research, to write laudatios or obituaries, or to do some homework before meeting your academic hero. Publish or Perish is a real Swiss army knife.
If you are using the Publish or Perish software in one of your research articles or otherwise want to refer to it, please use the following format:
Harzing, A.W. (2007) Publish or Perish, available from https://harzing.com/resources/publish-or-perish
The Publish or Perish software is available as Microsoft Windows and Apple macOS applications; the Windows version can also be installed and used on GNU/Linux computers with the aid of a suitable emulator such as CrossOver Linux or Wine.
Publish or Perish major versions timeline
- 1 November 2021 - Publish or Perish 8 released, 15 years after the original Publish or Perish.
- 2 September 2019 - Publish or Perish 7 released, including both Windows and macOS editions for the first time.
- 20 October 2017 - Publish or Perish 6 released, with four new data sources and Full Query Report
- 28 October 2016 - Publish or Perish 5 released, 10 years after the original Publish or Perish.
- 28 February 2013 - Publish or Perish 4 released
- 1 June 2010 - Publish or Perish 3 released
- 5 April 2007 - Publish or Perish 2 released
- 17 October 2006 - First public release of the Publish or Perish software
- The Publish or Perish Book
- Publish or Perish Tutorial
- Publish or Perish training resources
- Publish or Perish frequently asked questions
- Publish or Perish online help
- Publish or Perish in the news
- Reflections on the h-index
- Reflections on norms for the h-index and related indices
- Google Scholar as a new data source for citation analysis
- A Google Scholar h-Index for Journals
- Working with ISI data: Beware of Categorisation Problems
Support Publish or Perish
The development of the Publish or Perish software is a volunteering effort that has been ongoing since 2006. Download and use of Publish or Perish is and will remain free (gratis), but your support toward the costs of hosting, bandwidth, and software development are appreciated. Your support helps further development of Publish or Perish for new data sources and additional features.
Copyright © 2022 Anne-Wil Harzing. All rights reserved. Page last modified on Thu 2 Jun 2022 08:48
Anne-Wil Harzing is Professor of International Management at Middlesex University, London and visiting professor of International Management at Tilburg University. She is a Fellow of the Academy of International Business, a select group of distinguished AIB members who are recognized for their outstanding contributions to the scholarly development of the field of international business. In addition to her academic duties, she also maintains the Journal Quality List and is the driving force behind the popular Publish or Perish software program.